Children and young people should take part in appropraite physical activity every day and should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary (sitting for extended periods).
Being Active from an early age is important as it has many benefits including:
- Maintains health and weight
- Develops muscles and bones
- Improves self confidence
- Develops new social skills
As well as structured activity sessions, physical activity can be built into daily lives. There are lots of ways to do this but some examples include:
- Walk or Cycle to School
- Limit time playing on the computer / watching television
- Family games at the local park for example tag, rounders, tennis
- Do an activity challenge together e.g. Fun Run, Walk
- Try an new activity with family and friends
- Park in a space further away from the shops
- Get off the bus a stop earlier and walk
How and Where to Be Active
Across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland there are a variety of Physical Activity Programmes designed to help you to become more active. Activities include Martial Arts, Tennis, Swimming, Trampolining, Orienteering, Dance, Badminton, Cheerleading, Running and many more…..
To find out how to become more active in your local area then contact your local Sport and Physical Activity Team, using the link provided.
We here at Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport can help you find a range of opportunities to take part in physical activity, sport and wellbeing opportunities in your local area.
Use our Get Active Search Engine to find local clubs and organisations, sessions, venues and events near you.