Sat, 30 Sep 2017
Sat, 07 Oct 2017
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 (16:00 - 19:00)
Tue, 27 Feb 2018 (16:00 - 19:00)
Wed, 28 Feb 2018 (16:00 - 19:00)
What is Badminton?
Badminton is a fast, dynamic racket sport played on an indoor court using rackets and shuttlecocks (feather or synthetic). It is played as singles, doubles and mixed doubles and caters for all ages and ability levels from beginner through to world class performance. Courts can be found in schools, universities, leisure centres, badminton and mixed sports clubs.
- It's can be a great aerobic exercise but the intensity is up to you, it can be energetic or a light workout.
- Find a tough opponent for a full-body workout that tests your agility and stamina.
- The tactics make it a good all round work out for your brain as well
- Your flexibility, balance and reaction speed is enhanced by all the twisting, turning, jumping and stretching
- Hand to eye co-ordination is tested, as are your reflexes
Cost to hire a court can vary across the country but generally it will set you back somewhere between £6 – £12 per hour and in some cases badminton court hire comes as part of a wider membership offer with Leisure Centre's membership benefits. Alternatively, you can just turn up and play at any of the No Strings sessions for just £3-£5 per session, with sessions lasting from one to three hours.
You can play in a sports hall, or a school, leisure centre or social club even. You can also play outdoors - no court or net required - so long as the weather isn't too rough! If you're enjoying badminton and looking to make a bigger commitment, join a club. Most cater for social and competitive players at junior and senior level.
For a beginner, badminton is a relatively low cost sport to start playing. If you want to buy your own equipment then you need to consider the racket and shuttles.
Racket: These are made of various lightweight materials. They come in many different makes and prices but If you are just starting the game you do not need to buy the most expensive racket. Buy a racket that suits you.
Shuttle: These are plastic or feathered. If you are just starting, plastic shuttles are ideal and cheaper. They come in three speeds - fast, medium and slow. Buy medium speed to start with until you know more about the game.
- Simon Archer and Jo Goode won Britain's first Olympic medal in Sydney 2000 - a bronze in the mixed doubles.