- Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre
Loughborough Rd Leicester
- Contact Name
- Steve Vincent
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 0116 2681426
This British Orienteering Federation (B.O.F.) course is aimed at teachers, youth sector workers and people working in schools and outdoor centres. The 1 day training course delivers the knowledge, understanding and practical ability to introduce the basic skills of orienteering to beginners in a fun and exciting way on areas that are safe such as school sites or outdoor centre grounds. You will also be able to deliver simple competitions for participants.
No experience required for attending a Teaching Orienteering Part 1, is a prerequisite for anybody wishing to gain the Orienteering Young Leader Award or attend the British Orienteering Teaching Orienteering Part 2 training.
- Introduce children to orienteering in a safe environment
- Plan sessions which introduce the basic understanding of how to use an orienteering map and include the following skills: map as a bird's eye view, importance of north, map orientation, use of map colours and commonly used symbols, keeping in contact with the map and "thumbing".
- Plan and deliver orienteering sessions that meet the safety standards required by British Orienteering.
- Organise and deliver simple orienteering competition.
- Be able to advise children on the opportunities to further their orienteering experience.
Typical session structure:
There is a emphasis of piratical application of orienteering on this course as well as some a guided opportunity to plan and deliver orienteering course as part of a session.
What to wear:
Warm comfortable clothing and running trainer.
Please select a date from the dropdown above to purchase tickets.
This link takes you from the Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport website to another domain. Although we make every effort to ensure these links are accurate, we cannot take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers.