Exercise Referral & Heart Smart
The Exercise (Health) Referral scheme is designed to aid individuals (adults aged 16 or over) who have been identified by their GP or other health professional to take up the benefits of participation in enjoyable exercise.
There are two schemes, one covering Leicestershire and Rutland and one covering Leicester City. For more information please see the 'How to get involved' section below.
UK physical activity guidelines recommend that over a week, adults should be active for at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity. The 150 minutes doesn't have to be completed in one go. It can be broken down into smaller bouts of activity; in bouts of 10 minutes or more.
Public Health England recommends out of these 150 minutes, muscle strengthening activities should be carried out two days of the week.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions you could be eligible for the Exercise Referral Scheme:
- back pain
- high blood pressure
- heart condition
- high cholesterol
Benefits Of Exercise
Physical Activity can play an important role in preventing and managing health conditions such as coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, mental health problems, musculoskeletal conditions and some cancers.
Exercise can have a positive effect on well-being and mood, providing a sense of achievement or relaxation and release from daily stress.
- Greater social cohesion by helping people to socialise, providing a means of getting involved with the community
- Increasing how much physical activity someone does can significantly improve both their physical and mental well-being and reduce illnesses and disease throughout life
- It can also improve life expectancy
- Being active improves sleep, enhances quality of life and well-being
- Reduces stress
- Increases concentration levels
- Improves balance, co-ordination and cardiovascular fitness
- Increases self-confidence
How to get involved
If you have a condition you feel may be improved by increasing activity levels please speak to your local GP. If you are eligible for the scheme, you can be referred by your GP or other health professional using the Exercise (Health) Referral Form.
For further information about your local Scheme, please contact your relevant co-ordinator using the contacts below.
Your Local Contact & Welcome Pack
- Harborough Welcome Pack (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
- Hinckley Welcome Pack (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
Active Lifestyles Scheme
- 0116 4546768
To enrol onto the Active Lifestyle Scheme in Leicester City, please speak to your doctor or nurse and ask for a referral into the Lifestyle Referral Hub, once we receive this referral we will call you within 5 working days in order to refer you onto the programme. Please note this scheme is only for those living in the city of Leicester.
Contact Details: Lifestyle Referral Hub, Unit 11 Warren Park Way, Enderby, LE19 4SA | Tel: 0116 217 1881
- Melton Welcome Pack (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
- North West Leicestershire Welcome Pack (PDF, 806 Kb)
- Oadby & Wigston Welcome Pack (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
- Rutland Welcome Pack (PDF, 746 Kb)
For more information please contact:
GP Exercise Referral
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport
- Exercise Referral Programme
- Physical Activity Development Projects
- 01509 564871