Leicestershire Holiday Activities & Food Programme
Working with local partners (Leicestershire County Council, Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport, Voluntary Action LeicesterShire), Barnardo's secured significant funding from the Department for Education to provide a Summer Holiday Activities and Food Programme in 2019.
As part of the programme, Danemill Primary School received a visit from Michael Kapur Esq OBE, Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Leicestershire. The Lord-Lieutenant was invited to visit to learn more about the Holiday Activities and Food programme and in preparation for the event, the children had spent the day before making hats and swords that matched those of the ceremonial dress of the Lord-Lieutenant. At the visit itself, the children were fascinated to learn more around the role of the Lord-Lieutenant and were especially delighted at being able to hold the ceremonial sword. One young person presented the Lord-Lieutenant with a letter of thanks address to the Queen which he promised to send to Buckingham Palace.
The Department for Education set out a number of minimum standards which each supplier needed to achieve:
- Clubs must provide one meal a day with all food provided at the club meeting the school food standards.
- Clubs must include an element of nutritional education each day aimed at improving children's knowledge and awareness of healthy eating.
- Clubs must provide fun and enriching activities that provide children with the opportunities to develop new skills or knowledge, to consolidate existing skills and knowledge, or to try out new experiences.
- Clubs must provide activities which meet the Chief Medical Officers Physical Activity Guidelines on a daily basis.
To support the sustainability of the programme, children & young people were provided packs to take home to their families to support healthy eating and physical activity within their daily lives. Suppliers were also provided with activity bags to enable them to continue to introduce physical activity into their wider programmes and sessions. These activity bags were supported with additional coaching hours from Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport and Leicester City in the Community.
The 2019 Holiday Activities and Food programme has now finished, we would like to thank all suppliers who were involved in delivering the programme and hope all children attending enjoyed the sessions.
Impact Report (PDF, 2.5 Mb)
For more information, please contact:
Sports Development Manager
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport
- Physical Activity & Wellbeing Development Lead
- Financial Management & Compliance
- Strategic Management & Business Planning
- 01509 564870