Posted: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:30
Over 160 participants, from local businesses and workplaces from Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, met to compete for the title of Workplace World Cup Champions on Thursday 6th June at Brockington College in Enderby.
As the evening sun shone teams showcased their skill and sportsmanship in a variety of sports and activities including handball, volleyball, rounders and table tennis. The atmosphere was full of energy as the teams took to the pitches and got stuck into the activities on offer. Shouts of support could be heard from across the site as participants cheered on teammates and opponents alike.
It was Volleyball England (Team Brazil) who triumphed and took home the title of Workplace World Cup winners 2019. Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (Team Japan) took second place and Harborough District Council Team B (Team Canada) placed third. The spirit of the games award went to Birkett House School Team B (Barbados) whose team spirit and energy was undeniable.
Prior the Workplace World Cup teams were assigned a country participating in one of the four World Cups taking place this year (Rugby Union, Cricket, Women's Football and Netball), and some teams chose to add to the atmosphere and represent the country further by competing in a variety fancy dress costumes.
In between activities teams took the opportunity to visit the Health and wellbeing Zone where teams could take part in interactive activities designed to support a healthy lifestyle, particularly at work. Heartwize delivered CPR and defibrillator demonstrations with a race to see who performed CPR the most accurately. The Choose How You Move team ran a desk-based cycle activity and offering advice on supporting Active Travel initiatives in the workplace. Team members had the option to pedal their way to a fresh fruit smoothie on the Smoothie bike.
• 1st Volleyball England (Brazil)
• 2nd Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College (Japan)
• 3rd Harborough District Council - Team B (Canada)
• 4th Brockington College (USA)
• 4th Gateway College (Argentina)
• 6th Leicestershire and Rutland County FA (Trinidad and Tobago)
• 7th Youth Sport Trust (Uganda)
• 8th Mellor Primary School - Team B (Spain)
• 9th Mellor Primary School - Team A (New Zealand)
• 9th Midland Quarry Products (Germany)
• 11th Moat Community College (South Korea)
• 12th Millfield Lead Academy (Jamaica)
• 12th St John Fisher Primary School (Netherlands)
• 14th Harborough District Council - Team A (Fiji)
• 14th Leicestershire County Council (Tonga)
• 16th Leicester City Council (France)
• 17th Welland Park Academy (South Africa)
• 18th Birkett House School - Team B (Barbados)
• 19th Birkett House School (Australia)
• 20th Leicester Marriott Hotel DNC (Samoa)