Posted: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:30
Local sporting heroes were recognised at the annual Active Harborough District Sports Awards in an evening of celebration at Leicester Grammar School.
The popular event, hosted by Harborough District Council and main sponsor for the evening Everyone Active, was attended by over 200 people to celebrate sporting achievements across the District.
Nominations for the awards were made by residents across the District, and an independent panel of judges made the difficult final decisions within each category.
International Welsh Master's hockey captain, Gaynor Nash and Active Harborough's Leanne Plummer were entertaining comperes for the evening. The room was full of laughter, and at times guests were also moved to tears.
Norman Proudfoot, Joint Chief Executive of Harborough District Council said: "It's wonderful to see so many inspirational local sports people at the event. We have some amazing and very dedicated nominees who are integral in supporting an accessible Healthy Harborough for all."
Each award was sponsored by a local business, which also provided a prize for the winner.
This year sponsors included ASA Physio and Podiatry, MJ Engineering, HFM, The Training Shed, Harborough Lotto, Harborough District Council, Everyone Active and Active Harborough.
List of 2019 winners:
- Club of the year: Borough Alliance Junior Football Club
- Twilight Achiever: Jane Strachan
- Sports Person of the Year: Lily Taylor
- Junior Sportsman of the Year: Thomas Dixon
- Junior Sportswoman of the Year: Mille Van Neirop
- Physical Activity Star: Chris Matthews
- Community Impact: Wheels for All
- Unsung Hero – Coach of the Year: Kevin Howley
- Unsung Hero – Junior Inspiration: Matt Moir
- Unsung Hero – Inspiration Award: Michael Scully
- Team of the Year: Market Harborough Meerkats Netball Team
- Lifetime Achievement: Lindsey Bates
- Lifetime Achievement: David Lowe
- Harborough Hero: Terri Picton Clark
- Community Champion: Laurence Jones and Liz Adams
Everyone Active Manager, Matthew Hopkin said: "Everyone Active are proud to sponsor this fantastic event which celebrates the achievements of our local sports people – many of whom often go without recognition".
The event also raised money through a raffle in aid of Gems Charity and The Lewis Foundation – two local cancer charities which provide support for people having treatment for cancer.