Posted: Tue, 12 May 2020 21:05
Leicester-Shire and Rutland Sport – Updated Coronavirus Statement
On 10 May 2020, the government released their Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives approach as their next phase of the response to Covid 19. In order to control the virus we are still being encouraged to:
- Stay at home as much as possible
- Work from home if you can
- Limit contact with other people
- Keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
- Wash your hands regularly
- Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms
However, this new phase has meant that there are some changes to what is allowed in relation to Sport & Physical Activity. From the 13 May 2020:
- People can go outside more than once a day for exercise if they are following social distancing guidelines, are alone, with members of their household, or with one person from outside their household. People must still only exercise in groups of no more than two people, unless exercising with members of their household.
- Any facilities associated with outdoor sports and physical activities can reopen from Wednesday 13 May 2020, if those responsible for them feel ready to do so and if they can do so safely, and in line with this and related public health guidance.
As with before, you cannot:
- Exercise in an indoor sports court, gym or leisure centre, or go swimming in a public pool
- Use an outdoor gym or playground
For further guidance please visit:
- Gov.uk Guidance - Our plan to rebuild: The UK Government's COVID-19 recovery strategy
- Gov.uk Guidance - Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do
- Sport England - Coronavirus: what happens next?
For Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport, this means that we will continue with our previous decision to cancel and / or postpone a number of activities we are responsible for delivering in the immediate future. We will continue to:
- Support people to be Healthy At Home through an online physical activity and wellbeing offer: https://www.lrsport.org/healthyathome
- Support the Sports Business, Organisations and Clubs Sector: https://www.lrsport.org/organisational-support-coronavir
LRS is aware of the rapidly changing environment and will keep this decision under constant review as we continue monitor the latest advice from government and Public Health England.