UK Physical Activity Guidelines for Under 5s
Physical activity should be encouraged from birth, particularly through floor based play and water based activities in safe environments. Active children from birth to 5 years old are healthy, happy, school ready and sleep better.
All children should be encouraged to be active throughout the day, every day
- Children who are not yet walking should be encouraged from birth to do simple activities such as tummy time, enabling them to reach and roll for their favourite toy or acting out some nursery rhymes!
- Children capable of walking should be physically active for at least 3 hours each day. Play hide and seek, put some music on and move to the beat or more energetic activity like active play in the park, swimming and skipping.
The benefits are clear...
- Develop strong bones, muscles and heart
- Develop good motor skills including balance and coordination
- Supports good social skills - great for making new friends
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight
- Helps to enable a child to sleep well
- Boosts a child's confidence and emotional skills