Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism Course
Unfortunately we have made the very difficult decision to postpone this year’s (20/21) planned Level 5 Course. We feel that with the ongoing difficulties facing schools, staff and pupils during this time, it would be difficult to ensure the delivery of a high quality course, which is accessible for all candidates.
However, we are still committed to running this course at the start of next academic year, from September 2021.
September 2021 - June 2022 - *Open for Applications*
This nationally recognised qualification aims to upskill primary school teachers, future teachers and school support staff to improve the overall delivery of the Physical Education curriculum. On successful completion of this qualification, delegates will be able to assist in raising the standards within primary school physical education teaching.
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport are extremely pleased to offer this course again this year, despite the ongoing restrictions and challenges we are facing.
To date, we have successfully trained over 80 primary teachers and support staff and we are committed to ensuring we have a PE specialist in every school across Leicestershire, Leicester, and Rutland.
With the previous, current and ongoing restrictions due to Covid-19, this is a perfect opportunity to use your Primary PE & Sport Premium funding to focus on staff CPD.
Please note that this year's course will be run as a 'hybrid' course, to make it as easy and accessible for staff and schools during this time. It will commence with online sessions/learning and 1-1 support, moving to face-to-face/practical delivery when we are able to, at the back end of the course.
For more information on what's involved in the course, the benefits and eligibility, please view the attached booklet below.
What’s involved? How will this year’s course run differently?
- Average learning time: 141 hours which includes 45 tutored guided learning hours and 96 independent learning hours. This includes the completion of individual learning tasks and to do this it is important that there is support from the school's Senior Management Team to enable the delegate to complete all aspects of the course.
- Initial individual video call and pre-course work discussion with all delegates covering personal aims, situation and course expectations
- Dates TBC.
- Additional individual 1-1 feedback / support sessions as required.
- Course assessment will be carried out through formal written assignments, group-based tasks and group discussion.
- During the course, a senior leader at your school will be required to undertake a formal observation of your PE teaching.
- Delegates will be asked to carry out significant work in their own time, however additional release time within school may be needed for some of the tasks.
- As Covid-19 restrictions mean a significant portion of the course will be delivered and accessed online, delegates will need to have access to webcams and microphones for video conferencing and be competent in online document completion, editing and uploading. More details will be provided.
Dates - TBC
- Dates via Microsoft Teams TBC
- Dates for full tutored days TBC
Cost of Course:
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Schools: £800
*For delegates/schools outside of Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland the cost of the course is £1,000.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.
Please note there will be a maximum of 20 places available for this course; places will be awarded to applicants on a first-come first-served basis.
We are encouraging applications from across the County, City and Rutland.
For more information contact:
Sports Development Manager
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport
I am currently remote working, so please contact me via email/mobile phone (where provided).
- Active Schools (Whole School Approach)
- Head Teacher / Heads of PE Engagement
- Primary PE and Sport Premium Advisor
- School Sport & Physical Activity Network (SSPAN) Development
- Strategic Management & Business Planning
- Oadby & Wigston Link Officer
- 01509 564870