Primary PE and Sport Premium
For 2017-2018 the department of Education has doubled the funding that primary schools receive to improve the quality of their PE and sport provision from £160 million to £320 million a year, and have now published details of the individual allocations at school level.
For quick reference, we have pulled off the allocations for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Schools - see the attached PDF document below.
They have also published their funding guidance for the scheme alongside case studies showing how some schools have delivered a real impact for pupils through sports and physical activity.
The PE and Sport Premium is part of a series of programmes led by the department to improve healthy lifestyles among pupils and tackle childhood obesity. As part of the Childhood Obesity Plan, the Department of Education are working with other departments and agencies – including the Department of Health and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport – to make sure children are healthy and active.
Healthy eating, physical activity and sport not only help tackle childhood obesity, but can also have a positive impact on pupils' behaviour, attendance, concentration and attainment, helping children to reach their potential.
The government is delivering a series of actions to improve children's health. Alongside the doubled PE and Sport Premium, they are investing £100 million through the Healthy Pupils Capital Fund to facilitate improvements to children's physical and mental health by increasing and improving access to and use of relevant facilities, such as kitchens, dining facilities, changing rooms and sports facilities.
If you or your school would like any guidance, advice, support or a 1-1 visit to your school, on the use of your Primary Sport Premium funding or generically on your PE & School Sport offer, please contact Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport at the contact details below.
- LLR School Allocations (PDF, 87 Kb)
5 Key Indicators
Headteachers and Teachers decide what is best for the children's needs. If you would like help in ensuring your children are receiving PE, sport and physical activity programmes suited to their wants and needs then please contact us. Possibilities could include:
- Specialist coaching
- Teacher training or professional development in PE/sport
- Support for after-school or weekend competitions
- Hiring specialist PE teachers
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for CPD
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports and holiday clubs
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport (LRS) with partners have produced a Booklet to support Primary Schools in effectively utilising their Primary Sport Premium. There are also a number of other documents providing more information and support.
- LRS Primary School PE & Sport Premium Booklet (PDF, 1.4 Mb)
This document is designed to support Primary Schools to effectively utilise their PE and Sport Premium funding while guiding them on the associated Ofsted inspection requirements
- NGB Update to Pages 18/19 - Primary School PE & Sport Premium Booklet (PDF, 27 Kb)
This is an update to pages 18 and 19 in the Premium Booklet above.
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities (OAA) Information Primary School PE and Sport Premium (PDF, 2.2 Mb)
The following resource information is to help schools deliver Outdoor and Adventurous Activities (OAA) as part of their PE curriculum and to be part of the wider school curriculum offer.
- LRS PE & School Sport 'A Guide for Governors' (PDF, 2.1 Mb)
This Guide aims to provide Schools and their Sports Governor’ colleague with everything you need to get the best value for money from your PE and Sports Premium.
- LRS Sport Premium Funding Guide for Primary Schools (PDF, 455 Kb)
The purpose of this document is to provide primary schools with a clear
and simple guide following the Government’s funding announcement, on how to make best use of this new investment.
For more information please contact:
Sports Development Manager
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport
- Active Schools (Whole School Approach)
- Head Teacher / Heads of PE Engagement
- Primary PE and Sport Premium Advisor
- School Sport & Physical Activity Network (SSPAN) Development
- Strategic Management & Business Planning
- 01509 564862