- Contact Name
- NHS England
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 0300 311 22 33
What is Exercise Referral?
The Exercise (Health) Referral scheme is designed to aid individuals (adults aged 16 or over) who have been identified by their GP or other health professional to take up the benefits of participation in enjoyable exercise.
There are two schemes, one covering Leicestershire and Rutland and one covering Leicester City.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions you could be eligible for the Exercise Referral Scheme:
- back pain
- high blood pressure
- heart condition
- high cholesterol
Physical Activity can play an important role in preventing and managing health conditions such as coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, mental health problems, musculoskeletal conditions and some cancers.
Exercise can have a positive effect on well-being and mood, providing a sense of achievement or relaxation and release from daily stress.
- Greater social cohesion by helping people to socialise, providing a means of getting involved with the community
- Increasing how much physical activity someone does can significantly improve both their physical and mental well-being and reduce illnesses and disease throughout life
- It can also improve life expectancy
- Being active improves sleep, enhances quality of life and well-being
- Reduces stress
- Increases concentration levels
- Improves balance, co-ordination and cardiovascular fitness
- Increases self-confidence
For more information and local contacts/welcome packs, visit www.lrsport.org/exercisereferral